Subject: [Leica] A bit OT, but I need advice
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard L Ritter Jr)
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 23:07:01 -0400

Thanks to Don, Brian, and Frank. I know that the cost of pro-level repair
and cleaning of a seven-year-old DSLR might ordinarily approach the price of
a used one, but this situation is different. The D810A is a limited-edition
modified version of the D810 made for astrophotography, with an IR-cut
sensor filter that is less restrictive to deep-red visible wavelengths. That
makes the camera more sensitive to the deep-red hydrogen-alpha emission that
is so important in imaging many emission nebulae.

The model is no longer made, nor is there a replacement model, and it it
highly prized among astroimagers. This has driven prices for used examples,
on eBay at least, past $3k to near what it cost new. Curiously, there?s a
retailer I?d never heard of in NJ that claims to have 9 new bodies in stock
? for $4500.

So paying for even a Nikon repair will probably be well worth it rather than
replacing it. But first, I suppose I can?t do worse harm by blowing out the
camera, cleaning the sensor, and seeing what happens. Worst case (I hope) is
that a contaminated shutter curtain soils the sensor again, and I have to
send it off after all.

?howard