Subject: [Leica] IMG: Wayback Photos 1970 & 1990
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:00:59 -0600

I can say that the Pentax 50mm f1.4 is probably the best fast 50 for the
era.  The Olympus 1.4 is slightly better but maybe 20 years later design.

Harking back to the Marc James Small LUG era I have been accumulating these
lenses from Nikon, Canon. Minolta, Pentax, Olympus, Tamioka, Leica, Carl
Zeiss, Carl Zeiss aus Jena.

They all have their good points for artistic purposes but for an everyday
walk around 50 it would be hard to beat your Pentax.

Now, none of these hold a candle to the new lenses.   You pay a price in
terms of size and weight plus an $800 to $5000 price increase.   An
exception to the size are the M mount 50's but even those aren't quite as
crisp as the SL versions.

With all that said,  for most images the photographer is the key to a
successful image. Especially with the AI products available or the work of
highly skilled darkroom workers.