Subject: [Leica] Unusual band on some negatives from M3
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 16:04:41 +0000

Aram,

Looking at it large the band is fairly well defined, but towards the
edge of the image there is a slightly darker blurred area, as if it had
been lightly brushed by something.

It could be processing, but assuming that it was done at a reasonable
dev shop, my guess is that the shutter is encountering a bit of grit and
possibly that the curtain may have been in slight contact with the film,
suggesting a bit slack at higher speeds.

I also wonder whether the film might have not been properly mounted. If
you look at the edge of the frame 34 - 34A - 35 sequence on the contacts
there is a visible distortion of the film suggesting that the sockets
weren't properly engaging. The border of the film shows marked
scratching on many frames. Also, and this may be how it was scanned, the
left hand of frame 10A doesn't look vertical to my eyes, and even that
early in the film there is marked scratching.

I think it probably needs a good CLA.

Just my 2p worth,

Peter - who has just got his M3 back after a very long absence

--

Dr. Peter Dzwig

Replies: Reply from lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Unusual band on some negatives from M3)