Subject: [Leica] Unusual band on some negatives from M3
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:14:30 -0800

A friend has an M3 and sent me some photo that have a light (dark on
negative) vertical band towards one edge.My first thought was light
leak, but it does not appear on all negatives and also does not extend
into the sprocket area of the film.It is also pretty even, not diffuse.I
asked if he remembered if he was using a high shutter speed for those
with the bands and he though he was at about 1/500 or 1/1000 for those.I
am thinking shutter problem but what I do not know.At those speeds the
shutter curtains form a narrow slit and maybe it is hesitating part way
across causing this band?In my 50+ years of shooting, I have never heard
or seen anything like that.I told him perhaps he should run another roll
through the camera at different shutter speeds and see if he can see any
correlation.I told him he might exercise the shutter a bit by running it
through the speeds a bunch of times and see if that cures the problem.
He is a new owner of this M3 and I suspect, knowing where it came from,
it might have not been used for years before he got it. I have linked a
few photos showing the band.Maybe someone here can shed some light on
this problem?

band on photo 10-11-23scan010 (leica-users.org)
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/band+on+photo+10-11-23scan010.jpg.html>

Line on negative drew (leica-users.org)
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/Line+on+negative+drew.jpg.html>

--
Aram Langhans
(Semi) Retired Science Teacher

would ever have dared dream.?   James D. Watson

Replies: Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Unusual band on some negatives from M3)