Subject: [Leica] I have Jobo!
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 11:49:47 +0930

Send the tanks back Nathan.  Failure to seal is a major failure with this
sort of equipment and you can argue that the items were not saleable.

Plastic tanks do have one advantage over steel tanks. Plastic tanks fill
> and dump chemicals very rapidly, which reduces the chances of uneven
> developing. I hate the plastic reels, though. I have difficulty loading
> them.

I agree, totally, on both counts.  You can get around this problem if you
have a dark room.  With SS tanks I load the reels and put them in a dark
bag.  I then get the developer ready and fill the tank.  I leave the tank
sitting in a tempering bath if temperature control is needed.  Then turn
the lights out and load reels.  This way the film goes close to instantly
into a full tank.   Put the reels into a full tank, lid on, initial
inversion, then lights on, if necessary.  I usually aim for development
times around 10 minutes by manipulating dilution and temperature.  As time
runs down, I turn the lights off (if I turned them on), then take the lid
off and remove reels and into a tank of stop bath or plain water depending
on the developer (I mostly used acid stop for regular developers, but plain
water for pyro and pyrocat type staining developers).

I developed tens of thousands of rolls this way working in professional
darkrooms, even when I worked in labs with dip and dunk machines, because
alternative developers and contrast manipulation were usually offered.  At
the best labs they had IR lights and IR vision goggles so you could do
everything in the 'dark' but still see what you were doing, except with
Kodak HIE and EIR and similar which fogged in IR light.  All those labs are
closed now, of course.

I feel like all my wet darkroom knowledge is expertise in an extinct
field.  So much wasted time.