Subject: [Leica] IMG: Lublin
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 23:56:26 +0200

A couple of weeks ago I spent a few days in Lublin in eastern Poland. I was
invited there by the local university to give some lectures at their
international summer school. That part went very well. But what was truly
special about this trip was to go back to my roots. My father was born in
Lublin. The city was more than 1/3 Jewish before the war, and it was the
major center of Jewish learning in Eastern Europe. All this came to an end
in 1939, and the vast majority of Lublin?s Jews perished in the Holocaust.
Among them was my father?s younger brother Natan, an uncle whom I never got
to know. So this was more than an ordinary tourist visit. At the same time,
Lublin is an attractive, vibrant town of 350,000 people, and it is a nice
illustration of the new Poland that has arisen from the ruins of Communism
after 1989. A gallery of 100 images is here:

https://www.greatpix.eu/Travel/Lublin/

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman