Subject: [Leica] [LRflex] OT: TVs
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 00:09:11 +0100

I'm on the Sonny side of the street too, and am biding my time for the
new year sales, or whatever other offload gimmick hits, before I buy a
65" with bells and whistles. My wife's sitting position in the room is
138" away from the screen whereas I'm about 120" away from it. It's not
that we have a pre-nup, but we don't have much choice as the windows
take up a fair bit of TV useful wall space.

Like Sonny, I watch a lot of cycling - a relic of my former days doing
triathlons - and find that you really need detail to distinguish the
riders from one another, especially in bunch sprint finishes. I tend to
move closer with a couple of kilometres to go, and sit on the coffee
table about 3 - 4 feet away which works for me on our 48". That said,
with the annoying proliferation of screen-in-screen interviews telling
you things you know already, and the consequential shrinking of live
action screen space, 65" may not cut it for very long. Of course, as
some films are also frequently shown letterbox style on my current set,
a 65" will improve that viewing experience too, assuming the film is any
good. On that front, give The Grey Man a miss.

Douglas