Subject: [Leica] [Leica} Had a camera scare today......
From: john at mcmaster.co.uk (John McMaster)
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 19:21:55 +0000

Have you ever used Sandisk in an M9 or CCD Monochrom?  They do not always
work in them, I used Transcend and currently Lexar...

john

?On 05/06/2022, 19:34, "LUG on behalf of Nathan Wajsman"
<lug-bounces+john=mcmaster.co.uk at leica-users.org on behalf of photo at
frozenlight.eu> wrote:

    YMMV is the word here. I have used Sandisk, and only Sandisk, for many
years. In Leica, Panasonic (various models), Fuji (various models), Ricoh
GR?in all of them without any problems, ever.

    Cheers,
    Nathan

    Nathan Wajsman
    photo at frozenlight.eu

    http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws
    http://www.greatpix.eu
    http://www.frozenlight.eu

    YNWA

    > On 5 Jun 2022, at 18:25, Frank Filippone via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    > Maybe, but my Sony cards would not work in my Monochrom.  ( and yes,
my fastest cards are Sony, and they work equally well in my Nikon D7100 and
Sony A7, A7rii, and M240.....!)

    > It is not an issue of bulletproof.... the card is not the problem....
The original EE designer is the problem.....

    > In the early digital age,and especially the early Leica M8/M9 age, it
appears that Leica (and others) teamed up with a vendor and then designed
the camera to work with the electrical specs of THAT vendor. Other vendors
cards had slightly different specs and therefore would not work.  All the
cars met the Standard, but had slightly different specs..... so designing to
the specific vendor card specs was a BIG mistake for us consumers.

    > Ever wonder WHY there is a recommended memory card list for an older
camera?  Re-read the above..... THAT is why.

    > In the subsequent years, people complained, camera companies looked
like idiots, card makers got tired of the nonsense, and new cameras were
designed using the STANDARDS for SD cards.... Yes, the least common
denominator specs.  All the cards worked.... which makes consumer sense...

    > The difference is in the specific vendor electrical specs vs the least
common denominator standards specs.... and which you design to.

    > Nowadays, it is all but a memory.  In new cameras, all cards work.
    >
    > But, in using older cameras, you forget the old rules, and stick the
wrong BRAND and MODEL of card in your OLD camera.....

    > I bought some old Transcend cards from EBay yesterday..... want to be
sure I can keep the Monochrom running......

    > And I am going to put a sticker inside the bottom plate telling me to
use my Transcend cards only..... because I know I will forget again.....

    > Frank Filippone
    > BMWRed735i at Gmail.com
    > On 6/5/2022 5:59 AM, Sonny Carter via LUG wrote:
    >> I don't know how they do in Leica, but Sony Tough sd cards are
bulletproof.

    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Sonny
    >> http://sonc.com <http://sonc.com/look/>
    >> Natchitoches, Louisiana
    >> 1714
    >> Oldest Permanent Settlement in the Louisiana Purchase
    >>
    >> USA
    >>

    >> On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 10:26 AM John McMaster <john at
mcmaster.co.uk> wrote:

    >>> Surprised they lasted this long, I only had my M9 a few months
before I
    >>> had to move to Transcend cards from Sandisk....
    >>>
    >>> john
    >>>
    >>> On 04/06/2022, 21:28, "LUG on behalf of Frank Filippone via LUG"
    >>> <lug-bounces+john=mcmaster.co.uk at leica-users.org on behalf of
    >>> lug at leica-users.org> wrote:
    >>>

    >>>     My precious Monochrom ( M9 Based Digi-Leica) would not accept a
memory
    >>> card.  Just kept telling me that there was no SD card installed.
    >>>

    >>>     I tried a bunch of other cards.  No luck.  At this point I saw a
BIG
    >>> repair bill coming my way.....
    >>>
    >>>     Did a Google search of ... Leica M9 SD Card Problems.... All the
    >>> articles were old ( well, what do you expect given the camera is
old?)

    >>>     Three solutions were offered at that time...... a) contacts on
camera
    >>> or card were "dirty".... Clean them b) Bad memory card or card
reader in
    >>> the
    >>>     camera ( what I feared) and finally, c) In the beginning of the
M9,
    >>> there were some issues with certain cards not working.... Leica
chimed in
    >>> and said
    >>>     they knew about the problem, towards a fix.
    >>>
    >>>     The cards were mostly Sandisk....
    >>>

    >>>     Well, the cards I was trying were all Sandisk, Extreme Pro.... I
had
    >>> 64GB, 32GB, 128GB..... none had worked.
    >>>
    >>>     I did have a pair of Transcend 32GB cards..... tried one and it
worked
    >>> perfectly.
    >>>
    >>>     The message to leave everyone with.... if your camera acts up,,
Google

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] [Leica} Had a camera scare today......)
Message from john at mcmaster.co.uk (John McMaster) ([Leica] [Leica} Had a camera scare today......)
Message from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] [Leica} Had a camera scare today......)