Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: New aviation rules
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 16:15:11 -0700

Mike Gil wrote:
>>> I think we should always question, argue, and debate
> authority, no matter in what form it comes in.  I hope
> we do not become a police state because of the evil of
> others.  I will never follow the government without
> question.<<<<

Hey Mike,
I bet you wont be riding on too many planes in the future with that
attitude! Man right now I think "being humble" is a first call item when
boarding any plane in the USA and Canada. Let alone most international
locations for a bit of time.

And I bet Heathrow in London is going to be one tough ass mother with anyone
arguing their authority!!!. Don't be surprised if  "all carry on bags are
banned" by the International aviation folks.

In Canada as of this morning, it's being strongly proposed that all carry on
bags of any kind be banned! Period, nada, nothing you can carry on, just you
and your boarding pass that's it!

Don't ask...... "What are photographers going to do who normally carry on a
bag of expensive gear?"

Right now I don't think security give one flying hoop what photographers do!
It's just going to come down to. "Hey guys these are the rules.... live with
it!" And there isn't anything you'll be able to do.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to as you say:
>>I think we should always question, argue, and debate authority, no matter
in what form it comes in<<<
You could be waving at the pilot and his plane roll down the runway~! :-)

However, as draconian as this sounds, lets not get the under knickers in a
knot as it hasn't happened yet. But like good boy scouts "Be Prepared!"

If you fly  a number of times in a year I'd be looking for cases or a case
to carry what I might normally carry on in a shoulder bag and be prepared,
rather than getting to the airport and being told, "Sorry you can't take
anything on board!"  Then standing there all pissed off and agitated simply
because one didn't take a few minutes to be prepared as, "times have
changed!"

Shooters like myself who fly around the planet a fair amount have cases we
pack all the bits and pieces, extra cameras, lenses, etc. that you just
can't carry on the plane. So it shouldn't be any big problem using one of
those cases or buy another and load it with normal carry on gear.  And when
you check it in..... "Give it a Hail Mary," or whatever...... hoping it'll
arrive at the destination the same time we do.

But being prepared is a much better idea at the moment than arguing
authority of any kind! As I'd much rather be on the plane than waving at it
rotating off the runway!
ted