Subject: [Leica] 50th anniversary :-)
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 20:35:02 -0700

Howdy folks,
I'd like to share my anniversary with you. And for me it's a feel good thing
at the moment. Tomorrow is the 50th anniversary of my first published news
photograph in the Ottawa Citizen newspaper, Ottawa, Canada.
17 September 1951! :-)

A stock car race at night on a dirt track, it's left front wheel bouncing in
the air. The camera, a Rollieflex with a #40 flashbulb and me shooting from
the side of the track! Whew, those were days of devil may care picture
taking without a thought of danger anytime. ;-).

Super XX 120 film, developed in Microdol. Jeesh I can hardly remember my
name yesterday and yet something like that is as clear like it was this
evening.

To say the least I've come a long way in those 50 years with lots of
pictures published and lots more to shoot yet! ;-) At 72 and some months, I
intend on doing at least another 25 or 30 years! :-) Well OK 20 years! ;-)

When Eisenstaedt, at 96, passed onto the big darkroom in the sky I made it
one of my goals to outlast  him and still be shooting,  :-) I thought it'd
give me something to shoot for rather than sitting back and dying from doing
nothing. So far the plan is working. :-)

It's the art of positive thinking and being passionately in love with
photography and the excitement of my assignments, I figure there's a pretty
damn good chance I'll make it. Sure intend to.:-)

Photography isn't and never is work!  Carrying concrete blocks, now that's
work. Photography is a marvelous full time hobby played at with great
passion and affection that one receives compensation for once in a while!
:-) But work? Never, it's fun! And if it hasn't been, then I've just blown
50 years of my life!

Just thought you young lads and lasses might like to see what you've got to
look forward to. :-)

ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant