Subject: [Leica] Re: Darkroom ventilation
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 16:12:47 -0700

My darkroom is in my garage and it used to get really hot in the summer.
Fortunately, one of my sons is in commercial/industrial air conditioning
for the semiconductor industry. Clean rooms and all of that.

Anyway, I asked him about air conditioning for my 10'x10' darkroom and he
got a Fujitsu split type room air conditioner and installed it for me. The
compressor and evaporator are mounted on concrete outside my darkroom wall
(the outside garage wall), two copper pipes (the feed and the return) and
the electrical cable (four wires plus power) go between the compressor and
the inside unit. The inside unit is mounted high on the wall over my sink
and does not point toward either my enlarger or my JOBO. This inside unit
contains the cooling radiator and fans. It is so quiet that you have to
strain to hear it. It has a remote control with a myriad of functions. If
set on high, ice cycles will form in the darkroom with 100 deg. E6 running
and my 1100 watt enlarger running. The thing is amazing. Dead quiet and no
wall shaking because the compressor and all of the guts are outside bolted
to a driveway down the side of the garage. It was $900.

All of the self contained room air conditioners, those that sit on the
floor in a room, were $900 and up. So the cost was comparable. But I got
free installation so that would have to be figured in.

Jim

Replies: Reply from "tm" <leicar8@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Darkroom ventilation)