Subject: [Leica] Monday Misc.
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 05:00:00 -0600

Greetings to all.  Last week we had some discussion about using vintage
lenses on our digital cameras.  This week I took a walk around the
neighborhood with a prewar 35mm Zeiss Biogon originally in a Contax mount.
I did have the lens CLA'd by Harry Scherer maybe 15 years ago while also
overhauling a Contax II.

First is an example of only OK performance at infinity:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/don_dory_gmail_com/Monday+Misc/extension.jpg.html

Next is a close image at f2.8:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/don_dory_gmail_com/Monday+Misc/got+treats.jpg.html

Last is an intermediate distance image, this time at f5.6:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/don_dory_gmail_com/Monday+Misc/turkey+legs+added+to+extend+the+holiday.jpg.html

If you recall this is the lens whose rear element protrudes so far rearward
that it is unusable on the postwar Contax line.  There is possibly three
stops of falloff in the edges on my R V sensor but overall is a fair
performer and an excellent performer considering no coatings and 86+ years
old.

All the best.

--
Don