Subject: [Leica] IMGs: To adapt or not...
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 23:25:05 +0000

Despite having a multitude of old lenses from various makes and at least
five or six appropriate Fotodiox adapters, I have a problem with decent
performance at 85mm for portraits, as well as at 35mm for street work. I
had bought a new Samyang 35/2.8 a couple of years ago, but, in truth,
never liked the results, so decided to get an immaculate used 35mm Zeiss
Sonnar which was for sale in a camera shop in Dublin. They also had an
85mm 1.8 Sony portrait lens which disappointingly wasn't a Zeiss Batis,
but I decided to have a look at it when I was in there. Then, I
remembered my fairly unused Jupiter 9 Leica screw fit, and dug out my
Leica adapter.

Test shot of my sceptical - and very unprepared - wife of forty six
years taken with my forty six year old Jupiter 9 screwmount 85/2 lens
with Leica screw to M adapter and Leica M to Sony E mount Fotodiox
adapter, and thence to Sony A7II . Can be seen Larger. After seeing the
surprising sharpness of this combination, I have decided to use this for
portraits for a while, and not bother to buy the Sony lens.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Jup8+Nov23.jpg.html

Shot from tripod of my back garden sky about 30 mins after sunset with
my new Sony Zeiss Sonnar 35/2.8 on Sony A7II. Can be seen larger. I'll
use it for its primary purpose tomorrow and do some daytime street
shots, if things pan out.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Back+garden+low+light.jpg.html

Anybody else using Jupiters 39mm screw fits on Sonys?

Douglas

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] IMGs: To adapt or not...)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] IMGs: To adapt or not...)