Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 14/11/2023: reading together
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 06:34:56 +0100

One of the nicest social activities at our office is the book club. It is
not large, about 10-12 people, but very enjoyable. The rule is very simple:
once a month a book is selected (we take turns for that) to be read during
the following month and discussed at a meeting after work. Usually we meet
at Pynchon, an independent bookshop and caf? in the centre of Alicante.
There, we can have a room to ourselves, with the reasonable expectation that
we  consume something so that the caf? gets some revenue out of us, a
condition easily met. Last night we discussed Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez?s One
Hundred Years of Solitude, a book that I have had on my bookshelf in both
English and Danish for many years but had never gotten around to reading,
until now. I did like it very much, although in contrast to some of my
fellow readers I found it to be a tragic tale, whereas some of the others
found it humorous, at least in places. So we had a very lively discussion
and a very enjoyable couple of hours. Two photos.

First, our traditional photo with the book of the month on the table. This
time, however, we had it in the four languages depicted: Greek, Danish,
English and the original Spanish:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-hWCQPPM/A

Mar?a is originally from Costa Rica. She is the one who had selected the
book, and last night she explained to us that she recognised many aspects of
the book in her own life and background, given Costa Rica?s geographical and
cultural proximity to Colombia. She spoke with great passion and illustrated
one of her points by reading a short passage from the book:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-9xjfqJb/A

A most enjoyable literary evening. In the coming month we will be reading a
novel called Purge by Finnish author Sofi Oksanen.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
photo at frozenlight.eu