Subject: [Leica] IMG: Jack the Ripper's Pupil
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 01:30:26 +0100

According to US writer Patricia Cornwell about 20 years ago, she
postulated the idea that the infamous Whitechapel serial killer was the
well known painter Walter Sickert. Naturally, it's a theory which is
totally unprovable right now, and probably for ever.

However, I was doing some work on our art - paintings, prints and old
photographs we have that we never got around to hanging. We have been
buying what we think is painterly art for over forty years in various
auctions, including furniture ones, which are cheap, sometimes quite
interesting and do turn up the odd surprising item. However, due to our
downsizing, we have a fair bit stored in a corner of a room, and
something has to be done with it before I shuffle off and join the Choir
Invisible.

In going through it, I came across a couple of nice woodcuts from an
artist called Mabel Allington Royds - see wikipedia - who it transpires
was taught by Ms Cornwell's chief Ripper suspect.? It's not worth a lot,
but in turn is worth a lot more than we actually paid for it. This lady
worked in India and this picture is called "The Donkey Boy" and is
probably a scene from Varanasi (then Benares) in the state of Uttar
Pradesh. Nice to know that another copy of it is in the Victoria and
Albert Museum in London.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/The+Donkey+Boy.jpg.html

Can be seen larger. iPhone SE

Douglas