Subject: [Leica] PAW 18
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 12:06:52 +0100

Did the worms myself on occasion, Ric, but more often rod fished in the
sea off the rocks with a spinner.

On the other hand, for crabs, you just hit a limpet with a rock enough
to dislodge it. Extracted it and put the bait on the hook, let it drop
to the bottom and then waggle it about for interest. Within a few
minutes, a curious something would come out and attempt to eat it. Bingo.

The boat was a later addition as my father got an old 12 foot dinghy
when I was about 13/14 to teach us to sail. Interestingly built wooden
clinker boat from the 1920s, but impossible to get up onto the plane,
despite our best efforts, which was disappointing to us young
thrillseekers who knew what a more modern boat could do. That said, it
was a lovely boat, and incredibly stable as once I had it out in the bay
with my younger brother when sudden squalls struck. We headed back as
best we could but the fierce wind actually tore the old sail. We had to
get back with my younger brother holding enough of it up to act as a
jury rigged storm sail. My father's face was thunderous when we finally
made it back in.

I just looked one up and a bit like old Leicas, the price of one of them
is crazy these days. http://12footdinghy.org/ We never used it for
racing as it was just kept down at the holiday home in West Cork, and
eventually my Dad sold it after fifteen or twenty years. I'm sorry we
don't have it now as being in my seventies, I could do with its
stability and forgiving properties, if I wanted to take my grandson out.

Douglas