Subject: [Leica] Leica lens quality as a forerunner to another "lens" race.
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 07:26:45 -0500

Peter, thank you for the extended comment. My move to Sony was largely a
celebration of your argument.  I made the initial post with the knowledge
that most of the LUG has moved on from M's and even SL's.  However, I did
find what I saw was different while carrying either the M9 or M11.  The
questions presented were could I alter my mindset with the Sony's in hand,
is the purchase of an M11 cost/benefit ratio worth it to me, and last would
the lighter weight of the M package duplicatable in the mirrorless world?

I am still working through this decision tree.  Your pixel peeping analysis
is largely correct; however, sometimes what makes the image is a small part
of the image taken so higher resolution is very helpful.  At the LSI event
we were shown many photographers using Leicas but mostly under relatively
controlled situations.  If I have an assignment or a paid model then the
conditions can be manipulated.  For me, wandering various streets or trails
conditions are rarely controlled whether by access, SWAMBO wanting to be
somewhere else, or just the difficulty in getting to another position
before everything changes.  Hence the desire for more pixels to provide
room to be sloppy if necessary for the Ted Grant oooh look(click, click) at
that moment.

In the Sony world you are looking at 400 gram lenses and up while in the M
world it might be half that.  Your point on focusing accuracy is on point,
many of my M11 shots were off by that much to paraphrase a comedy show from
the 60's.  But software can fix much of that.  I really don't want to put
myself in future years to have to put aside a loved tool because it is too
massive and heavy but there is the cost factor in retirement with
increasing life spans.

What I think I will do is live with the heavy lenses and work very hard on
increasing tolerance for carrying 18kg of gear in a bag.  I can buy a Sigma
28 ART lens for 1/10th the price of a 28 ASPH and have a 1 stop advantage
plus autofocus when speed is important vs hyperfocal distance.  Or, crop
and use the 200gm lighter Sony 24 F1.4.

In the real world, I find that the conversion of Sony R V files to
monochrome is almost but not quite as good as the M11 M.  Everyone needs to
determine for themselves what tradeoffs they find best suited for
themselves and their style or comfort level.