Subject: [Leica] Leica lens quality as a forerunner to another "lens" race.
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 20:30:37 -0700

My love of Leica M cameras started c. 1970, when I discovered that I
could focus a rangefinder more accurately and easily than an SLR. At
that time, a used M2 was only a little more expensive than a new Nikon
F. i bought one. I quickly noticed the better optics. The other stuff,
the cult, the glorious history of Leica in photojournalism, I learned
later. That was nice, and it made me feel part of something. But what
truly mattered was that the camera fit me.

It's now over 50 years later, and many things have changed. Most medium
to high end lenses are sufficient in optical quality. Autofocus can
often be more accurate and faster than RF focusing by eye. The change
from film to digital taught me that there is no such thing as
perfection. The RFs that we thought were perfect on Kodachrome or
Panatomic-X were calibrated to a reasonable compromise, which we could
easily see once we went digital. Focus shift was real. Film grain and
thickness covered up some optical flaws. But many of these flaws can
only be seen when we pixel peep. Aside from jerks on Internet photo
forums, who cares? Pixel peeping is a false god. There is a point (a
zone, really) of diminishing returns on absolute optical quality.

I too have been to Wetzlar and watched Peter Karbe demonstrate how much
better the newest ASPH lenses are, zooming into a flower until we could
see the tiniest structures. It was miraculous and inspiring, and we were
all in awe. But I also had to ask myself how much all this would help me
in my mostly handheld photography. And how many thousands of dollars
would I be willing (or not) to spend, just to push a smidge further into
that zone of diminishing returns?

I suspect that solving problems like distortion and smearing in the
corners and edges of the frame are not either-or solutions, but a matter
of *both* optics and software. Let each craft do what it's best at, such
that it annoys the photographer as little as possible. That may not be
the best solution for competing with Japan, but it probably is the best
photographic solution.

A big problem is Leica's prices. Most pro photographers left them long
ago. Even most serious amateurs no longer aspire to Leica. Wetzlar just
smiles, pushes the boundaries further and raises prices again.

In a way, I'm lucky. I bought most of my Leica lenses when they were
more affordable. I'm happy with my M10-P and original "Henri" Monochrom.
In some ways I prefer the aesthetics of the classic lenses. A couple of
my lenses are (heresy!) Voigtlanders, and I like them. So I don't have
to buy anything else if I don't want to. But that doesn't make me a
Leica customer. It makes me a Customer Emeritus. I hope there are enough
doctors, lawyers, dentists and collectors of expensive things to make up
for folks like me.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Leica lens quality as a forerunner to another "lens" race.)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Leica lens quality as a forerunner to another "lens" race.)