Subject: [Leica] Leica lens quality as a forerunner to another "lens" race.
From: jnelon at nelonassociates.com (jnelon)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 15:44:07 -0400

Well said.

James R. Nelon
Partner
WNDA Studios
O: +1.207.389.4676
C: +1.508.308.6525
Email: JNelon at WNDAStudios.com
Website: https://WNDAStudios.com
LinkedIn: https://LinkedIn.com/in/JamesNelon
Highlight Reel: https://Vimeo.com/252904552

-----Original Message-----
From: LUG <lug-bounces+jnelon=nelonassociates.com at leica-users.org> On
Behalf Of Frank Filippone via LUG
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2023 1:57 PM
To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
Cc: Frank Filippone <bmwred735i at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica lens quality as a forerunner to another "lens"
race.

I am really interested in what you have said.....especially in light of what
Dr. Kauffman has said about computational photography.

There is a major and basic decision you must reach as a company... do you
want to cheapen your costs to the minimum or do you want to create THE BEST.

For Nikon, Canon and other mainstream photo brands, obviously it is more
profitable to reduce costs.

And by corollary, to allow THE BEST to be made by others. ( ignore this
segment of the market).  It suits their economies of scale.  It suits the
pure number of employees they have.  It suits their heritage and it suits
their Management.  Said simply, it suits their profit motives.

The move from a mechanical camera to the almost totally digital digi-cameras
was a major move for them.  ( and genius of the old Minolta folk at Sony....
)

But back to the main story, Kauffman has talked a lot about computational
photography.  The use of computers to fix stuff in an image.  But HIS
engineers are busy making $10,000 lenses that are close to perfection as is
currently possible.  The computational photography side of the business is
relegated to developing "stuff" on contract for other companies....
Including Huawei.

Why speak out of both sides of your mouth?  It could be misdirection of
strategy, or simply a way to remain in business.  Leica can not compete on
volume or price. It's main market must be a niche.

That Leica niche is not computational photography, it is optical superiority.

The market they play in is one of rich Doctors, Lawyers and Indian Chiefs.
It is NOT Mr. Joe Average.  It is NOT Mr Pro Photographer.

A few photographers make their livelihoods using Leica cameras and lenses.
But the vast majority do not.  Pros just can not afford the costs, initial
or updating.  It makes no business sense.

And thus it is....... that we as amateurs (rich Doctors, Lawyers and Indian
Chiefs) and retirees are Leica's market segment.

Can we actually see the difference compared to CaNikon?  Does it matter? We
want to know we are using THE BEST.

And we can afford ( main word there!) to buy THE BEST.

And as long as we or our kids want the same, Leica will produce THE BEST for
us.

Because they have no other choice.

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at Gmail.com