Subject: [Leica] Leica lens quality as a forerunner to another "lens" race.
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 08:55:38 -0500

Greetings to all.  As many know I was at the LSI Spring meeting at the
Leica headquarters in NJ.  As usual Leica provides their latest gear on
loan for a day.  I had the opportunity to use the M11 Monochrome with my
ASPH Summilux(s) and the 28 APO Summicron.  I have to say that the sensor
is way ahead of the lenses and your budget should include several of the
APO lenses if you go to the M11 M.

Another point, the existing plug in software doesn't properly recognize the
M11M files so you are reliant on the built in Adobe features or possibly
the Capture One that is offered with the M11M(James H.) would have more
information on that.

As an aside, I believe that the Japanese camera makers are proceeding in a
different direction with software enabled lens correction.  I know that the
lenses I mount on high res Sony cameras all seem to deliver more detail
than I could get out of the M11M with existing software.  The information
is there in the files so it is no fault of the camera but more that the
files are currently not well supported.

I had the chance to talk to a high ranking individual within the Leica
organization at breakfast.  The gist was that Leica was proceeding on an
optical solution rather than a software enabled solution.  Probably the
better solution as if the information is there software can take it to an
even higher level.  However, it puts Leica on a cost effective curve that
makes their products even more exclusive: also, it hurts production volume
as some of their designs have very high defect rates by Leica standards.
Obviously this drives an even higher price point.

Last, one of the participants received a survey from Leica with one
question about Japanese production of lenses at a (much) lower price
point.  So, Leica is aware of the pricing problem and is trying to work on
it.

Last, this Leica representative clarified the classic stool of any product:
price, size, performance.  You could have any two.  I am currently weighing
this as I own several of Sigma's most excellent lenses for the FE mount.
Their performance is magnificent however the average weight is in the
neighborhood of 1.5 kilograms compared to my 35 ASPH Summilux in the high
300 grams.  The Sigma is a better lens but my shoulder and hand don't
appreciate the weight as much as my eyes appreciate the image quality.

On the positive side, Leica lenses still retain a significant resale
advantage.

--
Don
don.dory at gmail.com