Subject: [Leica] comparison of 4 noise reduction programs
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard L Ritter Jr)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 18:58:55 -0400

Don, the stunning superiority of the LR Enhance image in terms of sharpness
of the subject?s hair, face, sweater, and nametag (or alternatively, the
comparative lousiness of the other results) beggars belief. I have to wonder
whether something didn?t go wrong. Among the three, only in the TopazAI is
her face in focus, while it?s not even close in the other two. Something
other than noise level is involved in the differences in resolution and
focus. I can?t imagine there being any way that the level of detail in the
LR image could have been recovered from a primary image as out of focus as
the other two would suggest, even with a dedicated sharpening program, let
alone merely a noise-reduction program.

For example, in the LR image, look at the leftmost strand of hair, which
goes from highlighted to darkly silhouetted against the background figure as
it sweeps upwards. In the other images, there is not even the merest
suggestion of this latter part, only the uniform blur of the background.

Look at her nametag and ribbon. In three images, including Topaz AI, the
printing isn?t even recognizable as such. But in the LR image, her name is
not only recognizable, not only easily readable, but actually sharp, even
down to the presence of the demarcation that shows her last name is ?Martin?
and not ?Martln?. And it?s puzzling that the TopazAI image, which has the
face in so much better focus than the Topaz DeNoise and the DxO, doesn?t do
any better on the nametag.

How can this be? Did one program perform magic, or did the other three
actually degrade details?

Can you post the unprocessed image for comparison? That would be extremely
interesting.

?howard