Subject: [Leica] Capture One "perpetual license" changes
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 20:46:06 -0800

I have been using Capture One for years. One of the reasons I've used it
is that Adobe's licensing scheme is basically software rental.? I am
opposed on principle to software rental schemes. The idea that a
customer should have to pay for the rest of their life or lose the
ability to edit, print, or even view their work seems wrong to me.?
Capture One seems to have taken the first step towards that model.

Capture One's license was perpetual as long as I've been using it, since
the Leica M8 days). They added a subscription option in recent years.
Well, going forward, Capture One's perpetual license may not be so
perpetual. Today I received an email from Capture One, which is linked
below. The phrase "new customer loyalty scheme" seems to foreshadow some
more Adobe-like behavior. So far they are not talking about ceasing
access to the version we bought in supposed perpetuity, but who knows
whether we are being prepared for something like that in future? I feel
a chill wind blowing from Denmark.

Last time I looked, several years ago, most open-source and freeware Raw
editing programs were way behind Lightroom and Capture One. Are there
any that have become more "ready for prime time?" I want to have a Plan
B in case the need arises. Layers are a must.

Here's the Capture One message on their Web site. It's is essentially
the same as the email. Note the user comments below the article.
<https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/7998068628637>

Replies: Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Capture One "perpetual license" changes)