Subject: [Leica] Playing with Medium Format
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 14:46:05 -0500

Thank you for the suggestion to look at Emmet Gowins images.  I took a
quick look at MoMA and found this image:

https://www.moma.org/collection/works/94495

I think images like this would work very well with the Super Ikonta, it is
not about the sharpness but the image itself and the subject matter
treatment by the photographer.  I am reminded of a comment about Edward
Weston's negatives.  They were intentionally very dense allowing great
control over the tonal scale but difficult to print without having printed
them under his direction: mostly his son prints them.  He was working with
large format so grain wasn't especially a concern.

I do think that traditional silver photography allows a creative approach
very different from digital.  While I have 14-15 stops of information to
deal with and discern silver has a completely different tonal range
natively: you mentioned this in Chicago as to why you preferred your film
M's to the Monochrome.

All the best.