Subject: [Leica] Summicron-M 50 (1979–94) , need replacement focussing tab
From: peter.cheyne at gmail.com (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 12:35:24 +0900

Thanks Ric, cheers Frank,

Yeah, those instructions for the $40 brass or steel tab were not very
clear. I put a black-painted steel one in my cart, then gave up when the
shipping doubled the price.

Instead I bought via eBay a pack of three of what seem to be hard rubber
tabs with a thin strip seemingly flexible enough to fit a range of
diameters, backed with double-sided tape. They should get the job done for
a good while.

Hopefully the fallen-off will show up one day. (Not expecting to find it,
though, there seems to be a household or in-car black hole for things like
that.)

Best to read HOW to put the new tab on... he says you need, sometimes, to
file down the head of some tiny screw.... from the INSIDE of the lens.....

To quote:

All of my focus tabs affix to the lens with an M1.6 nut (not supplied)
glued
into the back of the focus tab. An M1.6x3mm screw then screws into the
tab from inside the lens (the head of the screw may need to be filed down
fit).
See these threads here for details;

Instructions, somewhat:
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/269213-35mm-summilux-pre-ash-focus-tab-redux/

A picture of the back side of the focus tab:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/36QMBSDJH/leica-35mm-summicron-v2-3-focus-tab?optionId=227928922&li=more-from-shop

Do you know where to buy one M1.6 Nut?

But I think that if you sent the lens and parts off to Sherri or DAG, they
could rather easily perform the work.... might cost a bit more, but at
least you would have it done.

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at Gmail.com