Subject: [Leica] Two more from Seattle
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 18:22:43 +0100

Jim, I prefer the first one, but we call them baubles here, rather than
bulbs. On the second shot, it's definitely before Hitler dragged the
symbol down into shame.

Speaking of the swastika, when I was growing up here in Dublin in the
50's and 60s, a little red electric van with a swastika used to silently
roll up to our house and collect our sheets, shirts, and sundries for
cleaning and pressing. The driver was dressed like an SS guard in a dark
uniform and peaked cap, but disappointingly didn't have a Charlie
Chaplin moustache.
https://historyasm.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-curious-history-of-swastika-laundry.html

On Hitler, he had a brother called Alois who worked in Liverpool and was
married to an Irishwoman called Bridget (Dowling) whom he met while
working in Dublin. She claims his young Adolf visited them in Liverpool
around 1912-13. Did he visit Dublin on a day trip on the steamer and see
a Swastika Laundry van? Who knows?

Douglas