Subject: [Leica] Film and Digital
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 11:06:34 -0500

The thought put into an image when one has a max of 36 frames and possibly
only 2 available is a real thing.  Having 3000+ Exposures available does
not preclude thought about an image.  I find it interesting that after
thinking about an image and exposing accordingly I can then rethink
exposure or minor compositional changes.  As well, all of us have focused
in on something then looked up or behind us and found "the image".  This is
especially hard after pushing number 37 on the frame counter.

Last, film cameras are relatively cheap because of both relatively low
demand and the frequent need to CLA the new acquisition.  I remember when
the $1000+ for a clean M2-M6 was a very large input.  Now, my M3 needs
about that amount of money to rebuild to newish condition.

To me, the computing power needed is relatively cheap if you do refurbished
or linked companies like Discount Electronics here in Austin that seem to
have a large supply of Dell computers that they willow configure to your
taste and ship at low price for the whole deal.  The biggest expense is in
archiving the files.  I settled on 20+ terabytes on a Drobo.  Plus a couple
of matched hard drives to swap in as technology changes.  I really should
get a second one to mirror and keep offsite.