Subject: [Leica] local lab closes - digital rant
From: crgrbrts at verizon.net (Craig Roberts)
Date: Sat Sep 2 05:44:09 2006

Eric said:  "We as a culture continue to accept more for less -- but
fail to see the sacrifice in quality."

I agree and, if I wasn't having so much fun with my MF (that's "medium
format", not the other "MF") gear, scanner and printer, would probably
be lamenting the demise of the film lab, too.

I'm wondering, though, what traditionalists like us thought during a
previous photographic "revolution" -- the advent of the 35mm camera.  My
grandfather made all his beautiful pictures on glass plates and, later,
4 x 5 film. Their quality, even today, blows away anything that was ever
created  by my  -- in succession -- Exakta, Petri, Miranda,  Nikon,
Canon, Olympus  and  Leica  cameras.  I got speed and convenience, but
Grandpa created better images.  He considered 35mm machines "toys" for
impatient snapshooters (like that French dude HCB :-) ) .

I was one who scoffed at the idea that digital could ever eclipse or
even equal film in the production of high quality images, but -- unless
my middle-aged eyesight is failing me -- the visual evidence is to the
contrary.  I still have qualms about digital archiving, but I'm also
anxiously awaiting the M8 or -- better yet -- an affordable MF digital
back.