Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Processing in hotel rooms
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:14:59 -0500

I believe this is when it was discovered -- quit by accident -- that a bath
in salts speeds up the film washing process. They used salt water to rinse
film. In so doing, they found they didn't have to use fresh water as long
afterwards to remove all the fixer. Thus, hypo clear (a salt solution,
though not NaCl). A two minute bath reduces film washing time from 30 min to
10 min. Fact, or fiction, I don't know. But I remember reading this in a
book on photographic history.