Subject: [Leica] Foggy Viewfinder / Big Speck of Dust In New M6 And Lens
From: Justin Goh <sunsetat7@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 00:38:50 -0700 (PDT)

I’m new to the Leica world having used Nikons for a
few years. I bought my first Leica M6 TTL 0.85 with a
90mm/f2.8 Elmarit – M lens five days ago from a local
shop here in Singapore. The body and lens was
purchased new with warranties. My problem is that the
viewfinder is foggy when you look at it under a strong
light. There seem to be like small droplets underneath
the surface of the viewfinder plus a hazy look which
is difficult to see under a fluorescent lamp which the
shop is using. I thought it was normal until I get to
see another M6 0.58 which doesn’t display the same
problem. The other M6 in the shop have the same
fogginess which I think is unacceptable. The 90 mm
lens that I bought with it has something that looked
like a 3 to 4 mm white hair stuck somewhere in the
second element (might be under the 2nd element) but
not in the middle, but not really sure what it is and
it is a brand new lens. I really don’t know wether it
will affect the quality of the picture as someone said
in this list that his was affected by some specks of
dust in his lens and my Nikon lenses don’t have that
big specks of dust but really small ones. I checked
with the dealer and they told me to speak to the Leica
agent. I’m going to file a complaint to the Leica
agent and ask them to replace with a new set since the
shop were I bought it don’t have any stock left. Can
someone tell me if I’m being unreasonable considering
the money I paid for it? It would help my position as
others stated in this list if I knew of other
experiences and how Leica dealt with their cases.
Would you do the same thing?

TIA,
Mark