Subject: Re: [Leica] Foggy Viewfinder / Big Speck of Dust In New M6 And Lens
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 07:57:49 -0600

I am not a big fan of examining lenses and cameras under microscopes. I have
bought several new lenses this year and never once did I bother looking at
anything but the negatives. If the negatives look like s*** then there is a
problem. I personally do not care if some Leica engineer accidentally put
his ant farm in there as long as the negatives look good (and I do not have
to feed the ants).

The 0.85x finder has a different optical design form the 0.58x finder. The
0.58x is "brighter" and possibly "clearer" too. This is a result of the
different magnifications not as a result of quality differences in
construction. Have you tried looking through the finder as if you were going
to take pictures? If it looks good, then it is good. The finders were not
designed to be looked through backwards though they forgot to mention this
in the manual. I use mine the correct way and have had no problems.

Having said all that I am not a big fan of the 0.85x and the 0.72x is in all
my cameras. It is slightly "brighter" (and possibly "clearer"), I prefer the
wider view  and I have no problems focusing my 90/2AA wide open.

Sorry for the rant but Leicas are cameras not objet d'art. It you want art
go to a art gallery!

John Collier