Subject: Re: [Leica] cleaning rear elements
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 10:33:53 -0400

If you check the archive's there are rival claims for cleaning solutions
that work.  I've found that ROR or residual oil remover works very well and
that the Zeiss stuff a lot of camera stores carry works pretty well.

Every few years I will acquire some denatured alcohol from the hardware
store in the paint department.  Pour a little into a clean cup or small
container and using a Q-tip that is just damp in alcohol swab the element
lightly even into the edges by the retaining ring.  Use the dry end of the
swab to polish then finish with the usual cleaning fluid system.  The
alcohol gets up all the weird stuff that gets on the lens which isn't water
soluble but then you need something to remove the traces of benzene that
makes denatured alcohol denatured.  If you are into the sin quo non of
cleaning lenses then Edmund Scientific sells some stuff that removes
everything but the coating.  Last, if you travel to the UK they sell some
stuff that works by coating the lens, letting it dry, then peeling it off
with everything else on the lens.  You don't see it in the US as it will
destroy the plastic used on most mass market lenses sold.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com