Subject: Re: [Leica] digital M
From: "B. D. Colen" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 20:16:47 -0400

> Just as when it tried to abandon the M in favor of the R, after "paying
> attention" to the photographic world?  That didn't seem to work out too well.

First off, they didn't abandon the M. Second off, they produced a reflex
with wonderful optics but bodies from the stone age - apologies to the
users and lovers out there.

Second, if they produce a digital "M," which allows use of current Leica
M optics, has rangefinder focusing that allows for manual focusing - and
if they continue to produce a film M - they will stay in their niche
market and at the same time move into the future.

Digital is here to stay. Hopefully film is as well to some degree. But a
company that fails to produce a digital camera is a company that will
eventually disappear.

And, BTW, I am committed to using film - all black and white - but would
LOVE to also have a digital body which would take my M lenses and
function like an M....

B. D.

ilm will, unfortunately, eventually, become a boutique item
> Leica is a small company, and a company that size is probably better off working
> for its niche market than trying to compete in domains that have already been
> taken over by companies a hundred times larger.

Replies: Reply from Jeff Moore <> ([Leica] Re: digital M)
Reply from "Mxsmanic" <> (Re: [Leica] digital M)
Message from "Mxsmanic" <> (Re: [Leica] digital M)
Message from Mark Rabiner <> (Re: [Leica] digital M)
Message from "Mxsmanic" <> (Re: [Leica] digital M)
Message from "David Kieltyka" <> (Re: [Leica] digital M)
Message from "Mxsmanic" <> (Re: [Leica] digital M)