Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Lone Cypress trademark
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:33:57 +0200

> I'm curious if the use of a tripod is the determining
> factor when the Lone Cypress Police appear out of nowhere
> with their guns drawn.

The key is to take the photograph from public property.  You cannot be stopped
from doing that.  If you are on private property, then the owner of the property
can restrict what you may do while thereon (including photography, the use of
tripods, and so on).

> What could they possibly charge you with if you
> refused to stop taking a photograph from the same
> vantage point that other tourists were shooting from?

You could be sued for trespassing, I suppose.  But something tells me that this
has never actually been done.

I suggest that someone take an absolutely top-quality image of the Lone Cypress,
digitize it, and release the image to the public domain, thereby allowing anyone
to use the image for anything, and causing the utility of restricting
photography to abruptly evaporate.

Message from Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com> ([Leica] Re: Lone Cypress trademard)
Message from Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Lone Cypress trademark)