Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Copyright questions
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:29:20 +0200

Rob McElroy writes:

> What do you think?

I think that the pendulum long ago moved too far in the direction of greedy and
selfish copyright holders and similar wannabes who see every photograph as an
opportunity to dip into some non-existent pot of gold.  It's unfortunate that
the freedom of speech is being relinquished so willingly and rapidly by society
in favor of short-term "security" and especially profit, but that is a natural
tendency of affluent societies, and it is hard to stop.

I'd personally settle for far less "protection" of copyrights and allied rights
in exchange for a much greater freedom of expression.

> If photographers can now legally photograph and sell
> images of an architect's creation, shouldn't that
> apply to trees also?

Trees are not subject to copyright or trademark, anyway, no matter what some
parties with their minds clouded by greed may seem to think.

Message from Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Copyright questions)