Subject: [Leica] First digital camera – second attempt
From: billclough042541 at gmail.com (Bill Clough)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 10:10:40 -0500

[image: +1]
<https://delanceyplace.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6557fc90400ccd10e100a13f4&id=2bff10e09d&e=a270e2ac9a>
+1
<https://delanceyplace.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6557fc90400ccd10e100a13f4&id=0cb61387f9&e=a270e2ac9a>
[image: Pin]
<https://delanceyplace.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6557fc90400ccd10e100a13f4&id=16270c5df1&e=a270e2ac9a>
Pin
<https://delanceyplace.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6557fc90400ccd10e100a13f4&id=4e2e3e66dc&e=a270e2ac9a>

*Today's selection -- from Applied Minds: How Engineers Think by Guru
Madhavan.*  In 1975, Steven Sasson invented the world?s first digital
camera:

?Sasson went to college at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. His
freshman physics professor was a quiet, whimsical man, and a renowned
educator. ?OK, what problems have you had this week?? he'd ask the class.
Sasson always had a question, since he struggled with his homework. The
professor would go to the chalkboard and ?start off with an equation like F
= ma, and three lines later he'd have the whole thing,? Sasson recalled.
?It was so elegant. It was so freaking elegant. Even if I had the right
answer it took me three pages, but it took him just two or three lines. It
was like watching Michael Jordan play basketball. It looked so smooth and
freaking easy, but when you tried to do it you couldn't do it.?

?A few years later, Sasson read a biography of George Eastman. Eastman, who
had dropped out of high school, was self-taught. An accountant by trade and
an avid kitchen sink experimenter, Eastman eventually revolutionized film
photography and founded Kodak. Sasson's core belief about engineering was
influenced by Eastman's motto: an artistic technology like the camera
should be as ?convenient as the pencil.?

?Sasson joined Kodak.

?As one of his first projects, Sasson was asked by his supervisor to
explore the potential uses of a new technology called the charge-coupled
device. The CCD is an electronic light sensor that was pioneered by Bell
Labs. ?It was at best a forty-five-second conversation with my supervisor,?
Sasson recalled. There were no formal reviews or expectations for the
project.

?Kodak then had a profusion of mechanical engineers. As one of the very few
electrical engineers on staff, Sasson thought he should build an
image-capturing system ?with absolutely no moving parts.? As an early-stage
technology, the CCD was ?very, very difficult to work with,? Sasson
remembered. Its resolution was 10,000 pixels (or 0.01 megapixel). ?On top
of the actual device was a folded piece of paper on which the twelve
voltage designations were printed,? he added. ?Next to each one,
handwritten in pencil, were specific voltage settings for each pin. At the
bottom, it said, ??Good luck!?? Sasson spent long hours in a back lab doing
tests, incrementally inching toward a groundbreaking technology. He barely
spoke with his supervisor. ?Our plan was unrealistic. No one was paying
attention. We had no money. Nobody knew where we were working,? Sasson
explained. ?In summary, the situation was just about perfect!? A year
later-in 1976-the twenty-five-year-old Sasson finished a prototype. It was
a clunky contraption, more like an 8-pound toaster, requiring sixteen AA
batteries.

??It was a dopey little device,? Sasson said.

??It was my baby.?
*Steven J. Sasson, inventor of the first digital camera, comparing his
device with today's digital cameras.*
* DAVID DUPREY/AP*

?In a windowless conference room, cushioned chairs surrounded a long table
in the center. Sasson was ready to demonstrate his prototype of the first
digital camera to Kodak's upper management. He took a head-and-shoulder
shot of one of the executives. Then he began to describe what he had done,
cleverly trying to hide the twenty-three-second lag required to record each
digital image on the magnetic cassette tape that stored them. The tape was
then removed from the camera and placed in a purpose-built playback device
that connected to a television. A black-and-white picture of the executive
then appeared on the screen.

?The people at the table were stunned. Some really loved the idea, and some
hated it. Some were so shocked they said nothing. ?The technical people
were impressed that some stupid little kid in the lab could build this
thing,? Sasson recounted. But others launched a fusillade of questions and
concerns. ?Well, where would you store these images? You're not making a
print. People love prints. People don't want to look at their pictures on a
television set. Well, that image quality isn't good enough.?

?Sasson had no answers.

??It was like ... shit!? Sasson told me. ?I immediately wanted to pull
back.?

?In hindsight, who could blame those critics? Kodak was, after all, an
institution anchored in Eastman's film photography. Here was Sasson showing
pictures that didn't require film, photographic paper, or darkroom
processing. This was a digital eruption in an analog world. ?It was not a
good way to get invited to the Christmas party,? Sasson said. ?The whole
thing was too far out there to be seriously considered.?

"A colleague of Sasson told him privately, ?Don't worry, the world will get
there. They don't know it yet.?"
[image: Applied Minds: How Engineers Think]
<https://delanceyplace.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6557fc90400ccd10e100a13f4&id=3fe0cc08c7&e=a270e2ac9a>

*author:* Guru Madhavan