Subject: [Leica] Testing the old Elmar 5cm f 3.5
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 16:35:13 -0500

Lluis, I think the resulting image from a digital sensor depends very much
on how it is treated in processing.  I do appreciate my legacy lenses with
a digital sensor; depending the artistic expression they can be made to
perform as on film or not.  Images through film require a bit more pre
planning due to film choice and developer choice as those two variables
have a great deal of impact on the image.

I guess my feelings are related to looking at some of the Impressionist
painters who might use pencil, oils, and gauche to create the look they
want.  In silver you have film, developer, paper, paper developer, and
various post operations like toning or selective bleaching not to mention
intensifying a negative.

Even on a film Leica there is such a tremendous availability of lenses of
all characters that the photographer's expression knows few limits.

Going a bit further, I have been accumulating most of the published W.
Eugene Smith books and looking at his images closely.  The impact of an
image has little to do with technical perfection and very much to do with
the content of the image and how it is composed.  Which means I have come
back around to what you said, testing might be useful for certain
applications but the image is what counts.