Subject: [Leica] Some very LUG-like sentiments here
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard L Ritter Jr)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 16:38:19 -0400

On Apr 9, 2023, at 2:55 PM, Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu> wrote:

> Behind a paywall :-(
> But I like the title. I have been taking my film cameras with me on recent
> trips.
>
> Cheers,
> Nathan

Sorry, I didn?t realize that because I have a subscription. I hope WaPo
won?t be too upset if I share the text.

?howard

My carry-on bag is mostly filled with camera gear. As a travel writer and
photographer <https://www.sebastianmodak.com/>, I have an almost obsessive
need to make sure I have the equipment for any contingency: long lenses in
case I spot a rare parakeet, shorter ones to make sure I get every angle on
every explosive sunset. So when it came time to take my first real vacation
in years, I decided I was going to leave all that gear in my closet.

I still wanted memories from the vacation, especially because it was a
special one. I had just gotten married, and this multiday bicycling journey
through Slovenia was to be Maggie?s and my honeymoon. I wanted to limit how
many photos I took with my phone, too. This was going to be an exercise in
mindfulness and being present. Besides trying to break the associations I
had between photography, travel and work, I also wanted to break my habits
of reaching for my phone whenever I saw something remotely interesting.

So I dove into the wild world of Facebook Marketplace, combed through a sea
of scams and landed a Canon 35mm film point-and-shoot from the early 1990s.
It wasn?t as cheap as it should have been, a direct result of various
Kardashians being photographed with similar point-and-shoots at cool
parties. It?s the size of a small brick and the shutter makes a sound not
dissimilar to a truck turning into Optimus Prime, but I was happy with the
find. I bought two rolls of film, dropped it all into my now eerily
lightweight carry-on and we were off.

Readers of a certain age will be rolling their eyes at this point. The
millennial falls for the allure of the retro chic and thinks it?s
revolutionary; we?ve seen this movie before. Fair enough, but this was meant
to disrupt my present, not relive the past. And it worked.

With just 72 photos in total to take over the course of two weeks, I was
more selective about what I photographed. Then, the camera was back in my
bag and I was back in the moment, rolling through vineyards, taking in the
view alongside my new wife, watching the days disappear.

When I got the photos developed two months after coming home, flipping
through them was its own joy. They weren?t perfect. A few selfies were
off-kilter and overexposed. An errant eyelash on the lens meant that for ten
photos, it looks like someone took to vandalizing our memories with a
Sharpie. But the imperfections made them even more accurate snapshots of
fleeting moments as they really were.
My favorite photo from that trip was taken in the village of Stanjel after a
long day of cycling. Locking up our bikes at the bottom of town, we walked
up into the grounds of a castle where we tried to find the highest point. We
found it near a watchtower overlooking the densely wooded valley below. This
deserved to be one of the 72. I set up the camera on a nearby rock and wound
up the manual 10-second timer. I sprinted back and got into position near
Maggie, who wrapped her arms around me and kissed my cheek. With the
haphazard angle and the iffy afternoon light, I recognized in the moment
that it was a Hail Mary. Back in New York, I knew as soon as I saw it that
it would forever be a photo that meant more to me than any one of the
thousands of digital photos taken and retaken on so many trips around the
world.

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Some very LUG-like sentiments here)
Message from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Some very LUG-like sentiments here)