Subject: [Leica] When the right light isn't available, ask Alan Magayne-Roshak
From: amagayneroshak at gmail.com (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:50:29 -0600

On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 Michael Gardner <mlgardner96 at mac.com>wrote:

>I have looked a through the galleries a number of times. Very remarkable
work. Truly a master of the medium.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Portraits/20000916_MR_Beth_Wedding_A_11.jpg.html

> I liked it so much that I spent a few hours going through his Portraits
folder:

> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Portraits/
>
> I was blown away by the quality of everything there. These are
magnificent portraits, every last one of them. Technically masterful as
well as great poses.

> So I started looking through his other albums.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/
>
> He has 2000 pictures overall in his LUG gallery, and I can't claim to
have studied all of them. But after a while, I started noticing a pattern.
The lighting in his >pictures is almost always masterful. So much so that I
started wondering how he did it. It couldn't just be good luck or fortunate
circumstances. Well, of >course, skill. The man is a truly gifted
photographer, and one of his gifts seems to be an ability and interest in
perfecting the lighting in his pictures.
=======================================================================================================================
Brian and Michael, thank you very much for the kudos.

I can only attribute any skill I have to the environment I grew up in.  Our
family subscribed to TIME and LIFE magazines, which I began reading when I
was
five, so I got to see good photography from a young age.  My father had
been in photo reconnaissance during WWII and I used to look through the
pictures he took during his time in the service.  I also was lucky enough
when I was little to see many great B&W movies a the local TV station in
Chicago, such as The Third Man, The Lavender Hill Mob, The Man in the White
Suit, The Magnificent Ambersons.  These films had wonderful lighting, and I
must have absorbed their lessons (Robert Krasker, Douglas Slocombe and
Stanley Cortez shot these).

When we moved to Milwaukee I was blessed coming to a place that had a
tradition of advanced photography.  The Milwaukee Journal was a leader in
the use of multiple flash photography not only to do justice to the
subject, but also to give optimum quality in newsprint reproduction.  Many
who worked on the Journal went on to national prominence at LIFE magazine,
the National Geographic, Smithsonian magazine, etc.  When I got serious
about photography, in college, I came in contact with some of the greats
from that paper, such as George Koshollek, Bob Boyd, Ted Rozumalski, Tom
Abercrombie, Henry Larson, and my mentor, Edward R. Farber (developer of
portable electronic flash).  I still have Ed's three display boards covered
with 8x10's that demonstrate how to use multiple flash, the early ones with
flashbulbs, and the later ones with portable strobe.  Our university also
hosted many seminars with famous photographers, so I got to interact with
people such as as Alfred Eisenstaedt, Ernst Haas, Howard Sochurek, Frank
Scherschel, and W. Eugene Smith.

Due to these influences, I had a preference for multiple source lighting,
as opposed to the more prevalent available light practice.  When I got my
dream job at UWM Photo Services, I was able to use whatever techniques were
appropriate, and I tried to use balanced light so the picture was optimally
illuminated, even if it took more effort.  (I can't stand one-light
photography, where things blend together.  I like light against dark and
dark against light to separate the various planes in the picture).

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.   ;^)
--
Alan

(Retired)
UPAA Photographer of the Year 1978