Subject: [Leica] m10-R and uncoded lenses
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 08:15:54 -1000

I should start out stating I do not own nor ever have owned a M10.? I have
an M9 and M240.? I have had an M8.? So while I think I know the probable
answer, I may be incorrect.....? But I do have an do use the 12mm Heliar

that Said....

Nothing will happen.? As far as I can tell, most of the "corrections" in the
Leica cameras have to do with some vignetting corrections, and some
distortion corrections.? The amount varies by lens type. There is no color
correction done.? No corner color corrections.? None.

Both can be corrected by your choice of Post editor, like LR.? IF THE LENS
IS LISTED!? Which in the case of the old 35 Summilux, it is.? Have LR do
the work for you to correct.

Now that we have established you are NOT SOL, what choices do you have?

First, establish if the corrections is at all valuable to you. Since most of
the corrections are distortion corrections, do you do work that NEEDS
distortion correcting?? Translation... Do you do Architectural work?? ( you
can correct vignetting in post.... zero cost).

Coding this lens is very $$$.? The rear flange mount is not easily separated
for working on to put in the divots.? It can be done.

You could manually enter the lens data? to the camera and have the camera do
whatever it is going to do.? Or at least a close choice.....? Try the 35
Summicron.? They are pretty close.

Does this cover most of your options?

Zero Cost #1: Have LR do it for you. this requires you to remember which
lens you used maybe weeks later.? ( If you take all coded lens but one on a
trip the ones without an entry int he EXIF file data will tell you you used
the 35 Lux because there is no lens listed and that was the only lens that
was not coded)

Zero Cost #2:? Manually enter lens data into your M-10-r.? Just remember to
change it when you put on another lens.....

Zero Cost #3:? Code the lenses yourself with a permanent marker. By far the
least long lasting, but it works.? The marking wears off.... but it
works.? There is a free template for marking somewhere out there....

Big Cost: Get the flange removed and coding divots put in.

What do you think of your choices?

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at Gmail.com