Subject: [Leica] Best NAS for Photography to Buy in 2022 – NAS Nerdiness.......
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 22:42:45 -0700

I do not see a response. so I will give my interpretation....? I know
nothing about Drobo nor how you have hooked up your boxes, so I will not
comment on that....

Yes, LR and a NAS are compatible.... The trick is to contact the NAS
folk and have them help you.....? Synology is easy to work with and will
give you pretty un-nerdy instructions.

But here is the jist of the answer....

The catalog MUST be located on the internal HDD on the user computer.?
BUT, this can be synced also on the NAS... and you actively keep a
duplicate catalog on the NAS...

This means that in practice, the MASTER CATALOG is on the NAS, with the
USER CATALOG is in local storage.? Same file, different location and
always synced.

Syncing is constant. so the NAS copy is always up to date.? The LR
Program then sees only the local copy.... which makes LR happy.

The images can always be stored on the NAS.

Multiple computers can use the same synching technique so they too are
always up to date.....

This is a 1 user model.. only 1 computer is active at a time....

It works also if you were to use USB HDD.? Same technique.... One copy
of the catalog resides in the local computer, with a fully synced copy
on the NAS....?? Constant or near constant catalog syncing is more
difficult but can be done.

Let me point out that this is not the fastest retrieval system.... Only
local SSD storage can provide the very fastest retrieval service...if
that is why you want a NAS, don't bother.... buy giant SSDs and use the
NAS for? redundancy only.

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at gmail.com