Subject: [Leica] Warning to iPhone users..... Thanks Apple......
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 08:34:26 -1000

I never contradict Brian.... or at least try never to contradict him.... But
my experiences with HEIC are, apparently different than his.....

A lot of that is two people with different criteria. but in this case, my
rather arcane use may be the reason in which we differ...

My wife and I do a few activities to keep us active... one of which is to
monitor the condition of Monk Seals in Kauai.... basically we get a call and
go out to look at, set up barriers around, and overall assess the health
condition of these endangered critters. Sometimes we are asked to baby sit
one.

Part of that assessment is to identify which seal we are dealing with.... We
take pictures of the critter and send them to NOAA (to the local Vet and
protector of the Monk Seals).? To do this I have purchased an old but quite
good 500mm F8 lens ( mirror) lens. Mounted to my Nikon D7100, it really
blows up the details so that I can read the tag on each animal.... The tags
are about 2x4 inches, bright red, with white ID numbers on them... There
are 2 tags, one on each rear flipper.? I can usually get the number from
about 35 to 45 feet away.? Take pix, blow up in camera, read tag, take more
pix to see whole animal.

FYI, and nerdy indeed, I take RAW images,? Inspect in LRCC, convert to Jpg
for transmission to the vet.? I keep the RAW images for my photo gallery.

But sometimes I do not have my camera with me.... in which case we use our
iPhones to do the ID and assessments.? This is where the HEIC compression
was insufficient.? The images that I transferred from the phone to the
computer were WAY too compressed.? Blocky, and useless.? Remember, I am
trying
to read the 2x4" tag from 35 feet away with a lens of 32mm and a pixel pitch
of roughly 1micron.? It requires blowing up as big as possible.? HEIC
just does not cut it.

Now maybe my use is a bit weird or specialized ( it is) but it showed me
that blown up to 1:1? on a 15 inch laptop using LRCC, made the images
useless.? Something needed to be done to fix the ability to read these
tags.? JPGs work,? Heic does not.

Having said all of this, it is a tangent on the overall complaint... APPLE
changed something in the way my phone works without my knowledge nor
agreement.....

Just like they always do.....

Leave my settings alone!

If you want more details on what a Monk Seal is and why it is important to
maintain health awareness of a wild critter.... ask me and you will get
your answers... WARNING.. it is VERY VERY nerdy.

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at Gmail.com