Subject: [Leica] Lens opinion
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 09:07:06 -0700

This particular lens, the 75-240 AF F4.5 to 5.6? is really light at 330g
.? It is a good lens, but the fixed F4 70-210 version is optically
better ( and much heavier at 760g).

The 70-240 has a PLASTIC lens mount.? Which does break.? Check before
you buy.? It was marketed as a consumer lens... and therefore has a bad
reputation.

 ?I have tested it and find it variable in quality but when you get a
good one, WOW!? Not terribly good with a 1.4x.

The 1.4x will cost you about the same as the fixed 300mm lenses out
there.... and the 300's are sharper.

The 4-5.6 lens is in the $50 range.? The 70-210 fixed F4 version was
only produced for a limited time period ( maybe a year?) and therefore
less common and more $$$.? In the $100-150 range.

If you intend to manually focus these, the focus ring is at the end of
the lens and is both too easy to turn and pretty hard to find.... they
were made for AF, therefore the MF option is not so easy to use as other
lenses.? The hood turns with the focus.

There is a sleeper lens at 300MM out there... the Komura 300mm f5.0.? It
is good optically and is very light ( F5, remember?). Heavier is the
Nikon 300 F4.5 AIS lens.? Superb.? Doug? Herr recommended it highly.?
almost a Kilo in weight.

The 300 f4.5 Nikon was on ebay last few days for $85.? A STEAL!

A reference for all lenses Nikon....
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/specs.html

NOTE: The old AF Nikon lenses used a turning gear to move the focus. ?
Newer lenses used an electrical signal. no physical connection? I am not
sure that ANY Z Nikon body has this feature available.? Check first.....!

Else prepare to MF for the rest of your time with these older and cheap
lenses.

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at gmail.com

Message from keith at wesselphoto.com (Keith Wessel) ([Leica] Lens opinion)