Subject: [Leica] the 35 f2 tta asph is freaking astounding
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 17:03:20 -0700

Light lens labs actually does different testing than I am used to....

I am more the .... set up the graphic ( newspaper or other pretty finely
printed scientific target) or use my 50+ year old front yard fence, and
then take pictures of it.? Boring and uninteresting? Yes.? But as boring
as it is, it tells me if the lens can resolve well, and comparative
resolution is most important to me... Is this lens resolve more than
this other lens?? .? That is my definition of a good lens.? I am not
into character nor Bokeh,? YMMV

Light lens labs performs testing called Lens Projection.? It is easy to
look up, as it is used for testing CINE LENSES.? To simplify, you take a
target ( think a negative )? and PROJECT it through the lens onto a wall
and then look at that image and determine quality.? Yes, this is really
a test, really is considered valuable for Cine lenses, and LLL uses it.?
I had never heard of it before ( I am not cine oriented), but apparently
this testing has its followers and believers.? It is specifically why
the LLL lenses are all bragging about Bokeh, "look", "character" etc.?
The words resolution and Image Quality are not part of their marketing
vocabulary.? They apparently do test for MTF, but never use the results
in their ads.

(I have asked them for a sample of the Elcan 50 copy for testing MY WAY,
and for full list price they will sell me one, but not loan me one ....
I guess I could fake being Erwin..... )

I explained my methods to them.... Their marketing rep's response to my
test methods was:

I actually don't agree with your methods of testing, so far from the
testing done by light lens lab R&D facilities is that we use Lens
Projector on the lens to see the character/sharpness/resolution of the
lens. Testing using a camera would be inconsistent with different
results?being the most important one: the sensor is very different with
different companies and how the sensor compute?processor is very
inconsistent even with every other shot. lens projector would be more
consistent.

Which, since I know nada about the test method called Lens Projections,
means I have no basis for making any comment.? But as far as I can tell,
no single image lens manufacturer seems to be bragging about this
method..... Different strokes for different folks?? Gibberish?? Not sure.

Jim, I doubt they do single dip coating, as this is really old school
(yes, Voigtlander does this or has done this).? I would think that the
coating is/are deposited by vaccuum deposition, the standard for the
last 50 or so years... But then again.....

note that the original 8 Element 35 Summicron is a $2-4K lens. The LLL
copy is about $1500.? The original is not all that rare.

The 50 Elcan is a $7K+++ lens and the LLL copy is $900.

These are bargain lenses, with credible performance. ( at least the ones
i have tested and kept are all pretty darned good!)

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at gmail.com