Subject: [Leica] Drobos
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 07:03:49 +0530

 I ventured into a Synology NAS with RAID 5 a few years ago, primarily for
backup, and the damn thing broke down twice. Once was during the warranty
period, when it was set right by the sole distributor in India based in
Mumbai, and again 4 years ago. Both Synology and their distributor in
Mumbai had decided by then that they need not reply to emails/phone calls
from anyone owning any of their products which were out of the warranty
period, so it still sits as an expensive paperweight in my house. These are
very rare here still, so third party repair houses do not seem to be able
to repair them either.

I have reverted to doing my backups on 5TB portable external hard drives
made by Seagate/WD. I keep three sets - one at my house, one at my son's
house and one in my bank locker. They get updated at weekly, monthly and
two month intervals respectively. If other members of the family want to
access the data, they just plug in the correct USB external drive out of
the set at home, and away they go. It works fine, it is simple and anyone
can do it.

Cheers
Jayanand