Subject: [Leica] M8 B&W questions
From: john at mcmaster.co.uk (John McMaster)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 17:04:36 +0000

I used mine with a Zeiss 15mm and 21mm v/f (and IR filter) as the lens had
an IR mark, both sold now.

john

?On 15/02/2022, 16:54, "LUG on behalf of Howard Ritter via LUG"
<lug-bounces+john=mcmaster.co.uk at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    I particularly like using my M8 with 24mm Elmarit-M (32mm equivalent)
plus a deep IR-passing filter for B&W IR imaging.

    ?howard

    > On Feb15, 2022, at 1012, Jean-Michel Mertz via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    > Dear Luggers,
    > I bought an M8 back in 2010. I've used it ever since for colour
photography, shooting in raw and then developing my pictures in Lightroom. I
think this camera produces great pictures despite its basic flaws - its
infrared sensitivity and the 1.33 crop factor. In fact the lens you choose
helps a lot ! (I use a summicron 35 on a daily basis).

    > Now there's a good number of photographers who have come to realize
that this camera also produces fairly good B&W pictures. Some even compare
them to pictures taken with the M Monochrom. My point here is not the
conversion we all do from raw files to B&W, thanks to LR, PS, etc. I'd like
to know what your opinion is on shooting direct JPEG files in B&W and then
developing the pictures for example in Silver E. I've seen some really
smashing JPEG + SE pictures. Of course, you can't have large prints. Of
course, you won't have the possibility to resort to your raw files in colour
should you need to work on details.

    > I've recently done a few pictures with my M8 + a 1949 Elmar 50, 3.5.
It's (almost) like shooting film. I mean, I get the same thrill. The
pictures have a nostalgic quality I miss when shooting colour and then
converting the files to B&W. And having a look at the LCD display is, after
all, a good way to assess the picture - a bit faster than darkroom work !

Message from hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter) ([Leica] M8 B&W questions)