Subject: [Leica] A note from Jim Nichols
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 23:38:55 -0600

Last Summer, I got this from Jim

Aug 3, 2020, 10:56 AM

Hi Sonny,
Thanks for sharing your sister's story. Twenty years ago, we had to place
my father-in-law in medical rehabilitation, so I'm somewhat familiar with
what goes on, though without the complications of the pandemic.  Life there
is boring and miserable.

In late December I was dealing with two skin cancers on my scalp.  I had
the larger one, though a less serious melanoma, removed at Vanderbilt
University Medical Center, complete with a skin graft.  My retired eldest
son took care of changing the dressings and providing topical medications.
When it came time to confer with oncologists about the second cancer, a
carcinoma on my forehead, I asked for a frank discussion of possible
outcomes. Since the long-range predictions did not look good, I chose not
to undergo surgery on this one.  At 90 years old, I did not wish to spend
my last year in a hospital.  This was just before the COVID 19 pandemic was
recognized.

As things have turned out, I feel sure I made the right choice. The "lump"
on my forehead is getting a little larger and the headaches a
little more frequent, but, so far, Tylenol is making it bearable.  My
doctor, who is my grandson, and I agree that entering a hospital
environment at this time is not a good choice.  I continue to take pictures
and do the things I enjoy.

I am fortunate that DoorDash will deliver restaurant food to my front door
in about half an hour.  I make occasional runs to the pharmacy drive-up
window and to the grocery (with mask), but, otherwise, I stay at home.

I thought I would tell you this so that if my stream of pictures should
suddenly cease, you would know the background story and could let others
know.

Thanks, in advance.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA