Subject: [Leica] Picking up old lenses
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 16:02:57 -0500

This isn't about a great lens I found.  What I am really questioning is
using equipment that is "good enough"  I stumbled on a 40mm Makro Kilfit
f3.5 D version at a stupidly cheap price.  Even in Exacta mount that wasn't
an obstacle with a mirrorless body.  It is a four element in three group
design. Using it I found it quite usable wide open if you kept the main
subject in the center third.  Stopped down to 5.6-8 it was quite usable out
to the outer third.

Even compared to the Leica 60mm Macro it is half the size and weight.  So,
what is everybodies feelings about good enough even though modern
technology will be far superior?  I know more than several members have
transitioned to the Q2 for the size, weight, and simplicity of use.

Part of this is that younger photographers need a beginning place.  Most of
us started out on used equipment that worked and as our fortunes and
interests matured we acquired better tools.  My child didn't really get an
income that would support a lot of hobbies until thirty after the PhD.
Many folk don't get to that point so the tools need to be more reasonable
than a $2000 M body and a $500 foggy Russian lens.

Anyway, thoughts?

--
Don
don.dory at gmail.com