Subject: [Leica] RETROSPECT 13
From: billclough042541 at gmail.com (Bill Clough)
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 21:48:31 -0600

Hi there ?

   In 1961, the publisher of the Amarillo Citizen went on a junket to
Ruidoso Downs in Ruidosa, New Mexico. As it turned out, a horse from
Amarillo, Texas won.

While wandering around searching for subjects, this little girl was
stretching her full length to help her daddy place a bet.

It was an all-expences-paid affair for the publisher so this particular
photo was never published because the publisher thought it cast a bad image
of the operation...

  ... until about seven years later. One of my life-long friends was Dr.
James Dunn, who later became the Executive Director of  the Baptist Joint
Committee, the watchdog agency for the separation of church and state.

In 1968, he helped lead a Southern Baptist campaign against para-mutual
horse racing. I told James that I had a photo that might work well.

For a brief while, this Episcopalian became the best-known photographer by
the Southern Baptist convention.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Bill1941/RETROSPECT/_2+Show_+1961+-+_00242.jpg.html

?Bill

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] RETROSPECT 13)