Subject: [Leica] IMG: Playing with Fire
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue Sep 2 07:50:07 2008

At 07:12 AM 9/2/2008, you wrote:
>neg.  I'm not sure what your negs look like, but I found scanning
>them three times for the shadows, midtones and highlights and
>combining them in Photomatix Pro.  You can adjust the midtone,
>highlight and shadow contrast separately that way and combine an
>image from a much wider dynamic range than your scanner has - it's
>like digital dodging and burning but looks better than using
>adjustment layers in PS.  It's probably only worth considering for a
>few very special images, unless you have plenty of time - it's a
>very labour intensive process.
>Marty

Thanks, Marty.  I appreciate your suggestions.  I do have Photomatix
Pro and am going to try the three scan method as soon as I get back
home to my scanner.  Are you scanning as tiffs and then converting to
DNG RAW before using Photomatix?  I'm willing to spend the time, but
I have several hundred thousand negatives to do ;-)  I may not have
enough time left!

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com