Subject: [Leica] sweet barking cheese!
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sat Feb 24 18:55:08 2007

At 09:30 PM 2/24/2007, Kyle Cassidy wrote:
 >am i correct in understanding that amature radio suddenly has no morse
 >code requirement any longer?! first film, now this? next week, we'll
 >be gnawing one anothers bones, squatting in piles of rags and filth,
 >grunting at the moon.
 >
 >what has happened to this country?

Kyle

About 60% of ham traffic is passed in CW (Morse
Code) if not more.  The Federal Communications
Commission simply removed the requirment for (I
believe) an ability to transmit eight words per
minute in Morse Code from the requirement for a
license.  But most amatuer short-wave operators
will have to know how to deal with CW if they
want to talk at all on the air.  Fortunately,
there are freeby decoder programs available for the computer literate.

A decade back, the US Air Force and US Navy
ceased requiring a knowledge of celestial
navigation for navigators.  Still, these guys
learn it, both for the elegance of it and for the
hard reality that the GPS grid may be knocked out
at any time by happenstance or evil intent.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter) ([Leica] [WAS sweet barking cheese!] NOW OT--Why ham radio code is like a Leica)